Last Thursday a colleague and I left the office at an appropriate time to look for a farewell gift. We were mindful of the fact that the later we leave the office the more there is a chance to get caught up in the crowds of ‘after hours’ shoppers.
Our search took us to two jewellery shops in one of the many shopping arcades. None of them had anything remotely close to what we were looking for. We then headed for Oxford Street. We decided to walk via Old Bond Street and I must say it was a great decision. We walked past all the posh stores – designer clothes shops and art galleries. We had a limited amount of money and none of the shops we walked past held the item we wanted…aaah the drawback was limited funds.
We arrived at Selfridges on Oxford Street. Now that was some walk. Well for starters, its not called the high street’ for nothing. Oxford Street is the mecca for shoppers and shopaholics – window and otherwise. We did not find the item we were interested in so we decided to check out Debenhams – another huge department store along the high street. We didn’t find it there so we went to House of Fraser – we did not find it there so we headed towards John Lewis. We entered John Lewis and headed towards the jewellery section.
In less than 15 minutes we spotted (what we hoped was) the perfect farewell gift.
We bought the gift then asked whether the store had a gift wrapping service. The lady directed us to the 5th Floor of John Lewis. We didn’t have to wait for long to get the gift wrapped and we were glad we asked for a professional touch in the wrapping of the gift. After the gift was wrapped and all paid up we headed back down to the Ground Floor.
Well, we did it. The walking, the searching, the gift – it was a great shopping journey with results.
When looking for a gift for a work colleague, these are my tips:
- try to find out what she/he enjoys doing eg. cooking etc
- find out her/his favourite colours, food, beverages etc
- find out what her/his interests are
- give yourself a lot of time to shop even if it’s only one thing you are looking for
- make sure you look for the item eg. jewellery in more than one shop
- don’t shop under stress or when tired
- make sure you have the gift receipt, in case they don’t like the gift and want to exchange it for something they like
- make sure the gift is something they will use, eat, drink or wear.
But of course you may already know this and what’s more have tips of your own which are better than these. Hope not…hehehe…Hope some of the above tips are useful for the first timer.